Really cool sports communications job openings in the NFL (as of Feb 15, 2012)
As a communications person, I love when I run across jobs I think would be really cool.
Like, for example, “head of communications” for NFL media.
Based in the NFL’s Culver City office, the Head of Communications for NFL Media will direct and implement communications strategy for NFL Network, NFL.com, and other NFL digital media.
This executive will be a strategic and proactive communications executive with the capacity to also be a hands-on, sleeves-up team player. This leader will have superior business and communication skills, and will be successful at developing effective relationships with sports, business, and trade media.
• The Head of Communications, NFL Media will be a critical member of the management team for NFL Network and the Digital Media Group, and will work closely with League public affairs and communication executives to craft messaging, talking points, and positioning for NFL Network, NFL.com, and other digital media assets.
• This executive will direct publicity efforts for programming, sales and marketing initiatives and serve as a spokesperson on carriage distribution issues.
• He/she will also serve as the lead contact with sports, business and trade media.
Also, the NFL is looking for aDirector of Media Talent. Based on the job description this would be a position in which you get to tell Warren Sapp to tone down his tweets, Michael Irvin to tone down his suits, and Marshall Faulk to tone down his…everything.
Reporting to the Director, Talent & Production Development, the Director of Media Talent is the key position responsible for identifying, recruiting, managing, coaching, training and developing a team of Hosts, Anchors, Analysts and Guests in all aspects of their job including on-air, on-line, image and off-air contributions such as social and multi-media.
• Day-to-day management of Talent while monitoring the performance of each on-air Talent, providing ongoing 1:1 coaching and feedback for all on- and off-air activities.
• Develop on-air Talent and create individual growth plans and strategies focused on specific opportunities, talents and interests aligned with NFL Media needs.
• Identify and recruit top tier on-air Talent candidates.
• Conduct auditions and/or interviews in order to evaluate potential on-air Talent.
• Maintains a strong network and portfolio of on-air talent and strong relationships with agents to deliver appropriate on-air Talent to NFL Media.
• Develop feedback standards across all production units to ensure regular, consistent and honest feedback; tie feedback to ratings analysis with appropriate input from other NFL Media departments (Research, etc.).
• Develop processes to assess and implement cross platform and cross departmental utilization of on-air Talent.
• Supervise and coordinate with outside consultants to assist in the development and scheduling of on-air Talent.
• Work is reviewed from a short- to mid-term perspective and against objectives, budgets and schedules. Translates strategies for talent relations function into short-term objectives for areas of accountability.
The Cleveland Browns are looking for Digital Media Manager. I assume this person will help the Browns engage with the few fans they have left. I kid I kid!
This position is directly responsible for management of the Cleveland Browns day-to-day digital operations – which includes ClevelandBrowns.com, as well as the team’s mobile assets, Social Media touch points and email communications, among others.
It is essential that the qualified candidate be able to build strong relationships with various external and internal groups – including the Corporate Sales & Service and Ticket Sales & Service teams – as well as a strong manager of both people and processes.
- Development of graphic and multimedia elements across digital channels to drive engagement
- Ensure that company brand strategies and standards are upheld
- Oversee/perform web and email creation, routine site maintenance and all future development
- Collaborate with marketing and sales teams to increase revenue through digital channels, including, but not limited to, ticket sales initiatives
- Execute sponsor-driven and internal marketing campaigns
- Maintain an active relationship NFL and teams digital teams to ensure that the club maintains best-practices and is current on all emerging offerings; be current with best practices and emerging offerings across all consumer brands
- Continually seek ways to improve the fan experience through innovative technologies, including those in the Social Media and Mobile spaces
- Work with video production to ensure proper presentation and delivery
- Seek ways to cross promote all digital assets
- Help to ensure that web, email and social media content calendars are updated and fulfilled
- Manage staff to ensure execution of projects
- Manage all third party digital vendor contracts
- Manage budgets